A Casper man who in December allegedly assaulted a woman appeared in district court Thursday morning and entered guilty pleas to two felony charges.

Daniel Harley Burgess, 36, pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated assault and battery as well as one count of a third-time domestic violence violation.

In exchange for the guilty pleas, Assistant District Attorney Michael Schafer agreed to dismiss another aggravated assault and battery charge as well as one count of property destruction. Under the plea deal, Burgess will face a four- to five-year prison sentence and will have to pay restitution to the victim.

Charging papers say the crimes were allegedly committed on Dec. 15 at a home in the 700 block of North David Street.

The victim told police that she and Burgess had a previous dating relationship with a history of domestic battery, and an active protection order between the two was set in place through Aug. 23, 2018. The victim said she and Burgess had not argued or fought for "the entire visit."

At about 9 p.m., after she sensed that Burgess's "demeanor had begun to change," and went to leave the home.

"...Out of nowhere, as she reached the threshold of the doorway to leave through the door, [the victim] felt the back of her skull being struck by a blunt object. [The victim] blacked out and fell unconscious to the floor," court documents say.

The victim believed Burgess had hit her in the back of the head with a wine bottle.

When she woke up, the victim found Burgess was allegedly trying to drag her back into the house. She asked him why he had attacked her, and Burgess allegedly said, "You were trying to leave... I didn't want you to leave."

The victim got up and ran out of the house to her vehicle, which was parked across the street. Burgess "caught her out there," and got into the passenger side of the vehicle before "smash[ing] the window a couple of times" and ripping off her rear-view mirror.

Burgess then allegedly beat the victim's face with the rear-view mirror. The victim stepped on the gas and essentially forced Burgess out of the vehicle.

The victim reported the incident five days later. An officer noted the victim's injuries included reddened and yellow, bruised eyes; a small reddened cut to the center of her forehead between the eyes; and a raised welt on the back of the victim's head which had a reddened area on top of it. Bruising was also noted on the victim's right arm.

Court documents list four other criminal cases which included protection order violations by Burgess, all from 2017. Burgess also has a "lengthy criminal history" dating back to 2000, including multiple failures to appear in court as well as convictions for interference with a police officer, DUI, drug possession and domestic violence.

Burgess remains in custody pending sentencing.