Game and Fish Seeking Comments On Fishing Regulation Changes
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department has proposed changes to the state’s fishing regulations and they want your opinion on what should be changed or updated. “If you have thoughts on how to improve Wyoming’s fishing regulations, please comment now online or plan to attend one of our meetings across the state,” said Dave Zafft, fisheries management coordinator. Here are meetings in the Casper area:
- Torrington: 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 1st, Torrington Volunteer Fire Dept, 336 W. Valley Road
- Casper: 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 9th, Casper Game and Fish office, 3030 Energy Lane
- Douglas: 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 15th, Douglas County Courthouse, 107 N. 5th St.
A draft proposal is available online, and already incorporates ideas Game and Fish has been hearing about over the last few years, says Zaftt. Here are some of the key proposed changes he says the public should look at and comment on, as provided by a press release from Game and Fish:
- A proposed creel limit of six brook trout per day or in possession for all lakes within Area 5, and sixteen brook trout for all streams within Area 5. The combined total creel limit for lakes and streams cannot exceed sixteen brook trout. This proposed change would prevent excessive harvest of stocked brook trout in Area 5 lakes while simplifying the regulation.
- Proposed changes to live baitfish regulations for location 5A. Game and Fish proposes moving the upstream end of location 5A live baitfish use and possession area from the Dave Johnston Dam downstream to Glendo Dam. Asian clams are established downstream of Glendo Dam and young life stages of the clams can easily be moved via water and fish. The change is intended to reduce the spread of this invasive species. The change would prevent anglers in the Torrington area from seining for baitfish in the North Platte River and using the same baitfish in Glendo Reservoir. Additionally, seining will be prohibited in the Laramie River. However, Game and Fish is also proposing adding several new areas to the list of approved baitfish seining waters to offset the change.
- Proposed changes for regulation simplification to remove special regulations and to revert to the general Statewide creel limits on: North Platte River from Pathfinder Dam downstream eight tenths of a mile to the vehicle bridge in Natrona County; North Platte River from Alcova Dam downstream to Gray Reef Reservoir in Natrona County; and The North Platte River drainage from Bessemer Bend Bridge downstream to Guernsey Dam.
Written comments will be accepted through 5 p.m. June 4 at public meetings, by mail at: Wyoming Game and Fish Department, Regulations, 3030 Energy Lane, Casper, WY 82604, or online at https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Get-Involved/Public-Meetings/. Copies of the proposed regulations are available on the Game and Fish website and at the address above.
The written comments will be presented to the Game and Fish Commission prior to the public hearing at their July meeting at the Game and Fish Office in Laramie.