Five Reasons to Pick the Pokes in Your NCAA Tournament Pool
We'll all be rooting for Wyoming to pull off another big upset Friday when they square off against Northern Iowa in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. But here's five reasons why the 12th seeded Pokes might actually be a smart bet to knock off the 5th seeded Panthers.
1. During the past three tournaments, No. 12 seeds have gone 8-4 against No. 5 seeds.
2. In 2013 and 2014, 12 seeds won six of eight games verses 5 seeds.
3. At least one 12 seed has upset a 5 seed in each of the last 7 tournaments.
4. Since the field expanded to 64 teams in 1985, a 12 seed has knocked off a 5 seed 44 times.
5. Northern Iowa's all time NCAA Tournament record is 3-6. And, even though Northern Iowa only lost 3 games this season, they didn't play a tough schedule. The Panthers were only 3-2 versus teams ranked the RPI Top 50. By way of comparison, Wyoming finished 5-3 versus Top 50 teams.