What Do Teal Pumpkins On Halloween Mean?
Did you encounter a teal pumpkin while trick-or-treating in Casper last year? You may run into some this year and here is the meaning behind them.
Teal pumpkins are not just a colorful Halloween decorations, they are a part of the Teal Pumpkin Project. The Teal Pumpkin Project by FARE (Food Allergy Research & Education) is a nationwide movement to "raise awareness of food allergies and promotes inclusion of all trick-or-treaters throughout the Halloween season."
For many children, Halloween is all about loading up on as much candy and sweet treats as possible. Unfortunately not all children get to enjoy these sweet treats due to food allergies or other heath concerns. 1 in 13 children (under the age of 18) in the U.S. suffer from food allergies, according to foodallergy.org. That is almost 2 in every classroom. The Teal Pumpkin Project encourages households to provide non-food items for trick-or-treaters who are affected by these allergies.
Ways you can get involved:
- Provide non-food treats for trick-or-treaters
- Place a teal pumpkin outside your home
- Add your home to the participation map - Visit map here.
- Place a free printable sign on your home indicating you have non-food items available [Download Prints Here]
- Donate to FARE (Optional)
- Temporary Tattoos
- Glow Bracelets
- Bouncy balls
- Small toys